THE DAY GOD DIED ON HOLY CROSS HILL

I only remember now because I writ it down
It was nineteen seventy or seventy-one
I climbed the steps like a good Christian boy
Armed with a missal and all of my joy.
Gunfire burst behind me on the Crumlin Road
For god and ulster, the sky was told.
I looked up to the great doors threw my missal away
And ran home crying, I cried all the way
To this day, I still can’t fathom why he done that
Three people lay dead at his feet, flat.
All for green and orange on holy cross hill.

I can’t live with that god within my shoes
That day you burst my bubble, gave me the blues.
Now I give it back to you, in bleeding words
God, you are a bastard who lives dies by the sword.
I want nothing to do with you, ill follow the way
The way is true and tender, beauty is a beautiful day.
Death is part of life I know but this was for your cause
You have torn us all to shreds for this peaceful pause.
The English and the Irish are at each other’s throats
When will we swallow the truth, and say that no one won.





I witnessed you again along the narrow waters
Hate was in your heart, they cut down our brothers.
Hate was killing hate, all in your name
And no one was there, no one was to blame.
get on with the living without your dying son
No one died for my sins, I’ll die for my own.
I’ll take it on the chin and make this my home

So, fuck off back to god knows where and leave me alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog